Sunday 10 January 2010

Make the Paths Straight

Church was great this morning, arrived to find slippy paths so got the old shovel out to clear a pathway along the pavement that was safe to walk on. I put the shovel away and watched a couple walk into church along the cleared path, walking with them on the icy smush was someone else from church who promptly decided to test the hardness of the pavement with their backside.

You can clear a path, but you can't make someone walk on it. The cleared path made a difference to some people this morning, but to others not a bit.

I reflected on my making the path straight when I was younger - I got telling people what I thought they needed to hear, pretty much turn or burn... I thought I was making a path in the wilderness. In Isaiah 40 it talks about ....


3 A voice of one calling:
"In the desert prepare
the way for the LORD ;
make straight in the wilderness
a highway for our God.


Isaiah 40 starts off by telling us to Comfort people...... turn or burn is not a very comforting message. Our job is to facilitate peoples ability to come to Jesus to experience him exalting the low areas in their life and reducing the hills producing a landscape where people can see.


A cleared path is a practical way to make a path straight and clear, however people may not take advantage but we should not cease from clearing the way for people to meet Jesus



No comments:

Post a Comment