Thursday 7 January 2010

This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine

Off school for a snow day today so I decided to try and fix the lights in my living room. I don't know if you have ever tried to rewire a ring lighting circuit before, double switches and two sets of lights means lots of wires, I had red wires and black wires, blue wires and brown wires, yellow and green wires.

Until today I had managed to get things so I could switch one set of lights on or off, but have a little dark corner where the other lights were. The alternative I had managed was to have two sets of lights permanantly on!


It was a bit like the old mastermind game trying various combinations of colours, it took over an hour but eventually I got both sets of lights working and I can turn them off or on together or independantly, I feel oddly proud funnily enough.

It got me to thinking about control, and who has it. I am now in perfect control of my living room lights, I can plunge a room into darkness or cause an almost atomic glow with the 6 light bulbs up there.

I am equally responsible for the light I let be seen in my life, I can let it shine outwardly or hide it away and cover it up under a million and one facets of my life or character. As christians we are called to let our light shine before men. With my lights at home I flick a switch and the light comes on, in life my actions either illuminate Christ or hide him.



Theres a saying that you can't see the wood for the trees, I think it was petra who had a lyric about not being able to see Jesus for all of the christians. We should remember:

Matthew 5:16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your father who is in heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment